Joining WEA is good for you personally and professionally … and it’s good for students.
As your professional organization, we are like a family, a union of professionals who agree that students and education are important — and that the people who are working in schools are important, too.
As skilled and caring professionals, we help you build relationships with colleagues across the state and nation. We are 6,300 members strong in Wyoming and 3.2 million members strong across the country. There is a WEA member in virtually every school building across the state ready and willing to help you and your students succeed.
We are the favorite teachers from your school days. We are your friends, your colleagues and your mentors. We are united in our belief in, and support for, public schools and the teaching profession. We know that it is part of our professional responsibility to unite together for the good of our students and for our profession.
We are a volunteer organization supported by our members’ dues, grants from the National Education Association and the good work of our members. Regardless of job classification, we are all educators.
Everything we do centers around WEA’s priorities of promoting quality public schools, strengthening the teaching profession and improving the well being of members.
“Everything” we do includes:
- Maximizing learning opportunities for you and your students,
- Working to enhance your career,
- Lobbying the Legislature, and protecting your right to practice in your chosen profession.
Your membership is part of the equation that makes Wyoming public schools so successful. Your WEA membership makes a difference for students in your classroom and for your colleagues across the state.
A variety of programs are available to help you further your career, to improve your teaching and to save you money. It makes good sense to belong to WEA! When you join the Association, take advantage of the many benefits available, including:
- News, practical information, and teaching tips you can’t get anywhere else. These are available through a variety of publications, like the WEA News, kits, training, the WEA and NEA Web sites and other online resources.
- A professional network of colleagues from across the state and the nation with whom you can share your concerns and explore solutions.
- A clearinghouse for the best professional development opportunities, the latest research on proven school improvement activities and special discounts on a variety of books and teaching materials to help you be your best. WEA ensures teacher input to the policy makers who determine the rules and regulations that affect your career and how you do your job.
- Liability insurance protection plus access to specially trained staff and WEA attorneys if you should ever find yourself faced with job-related legal trouble.
- Professional staff located across the state who are available for assistance with teaching and learning, student achievement and legal and salary issues. They are a phone call or a computer click away.
- A voice in the Wyoming Legislature where we lobby for lower class size, increased school funding, teacher mentoring programs, professional salaries and retirement benefits for educators.
- Research, support and training to negotiate professional salaries, benefits such as health insurance, and working conditions.
Personal financial advice and information you can trust plus real discounts and good deals through our WEA/NEA Member Benefits program. “Good deals” include a low-interest signature loan to tide you over until you receive your first paycheck or to take a college class; home finance programs to buy a house or refinance a mortgage; insurance protection for your family; and guidance in building your retirement nest egg.
- Belonging to WEA is an asset because of the community support, recognition, and respect that we have earned as the state’s leading advocate for quality public education.